Saturday 20 January 2018

Hypothermia and Hormones

Day 6.

Training hasn't really gone to plan since Monday's run but I've done my best to stick to the general aims of the next few months training which to is to run a bit faster and do plenty of strength work. Hormones have made sleeping very difficult and I've been having shocking night sweats so my energy levels have been pretty low. Oh, and I was kicked in the ribs at work yesterday and extremely fortunate not to sustain broken bones.

However, I did make it out for a run today despite the incessant sleet and feeling crappy with hormones. About 3 miles in I had to stop at a level crossing for 3 or 4 minutes as the barriers were down. I'd dressed sensibly for a run in near freezing rain: thermal tights + skirt, a long-sleeve Craft top for colder weather activities, and a Ron Hill waterproof over that. There was a buff for my head and double layered glove-mitten things from Decathlon. But by the time I could continue my run I was really, really cold and that got me remembering.

I've had one DNF. That was Lakes in a Day 2016. My back became uncooperative (yes, maybe a mountainous race with a broken back is a bit stupid but I believed I had it in me to complete the 50 miles) then my left knee gave up forcing me to move at a snail's pace, stumbling painfully down the descents. I got cold, then numb, then my brain started to go weird. Everyone seemed far away, getting a snack from a pocket became an impossible task; I wanted to lie down on the fell and go to sleep amongst thousands of tiny blue sea dragons. When I finally made it down into Ambleside I couldn't speak, couldn't run, couldn't eat or even respond to anyone. My core temperature had dropped to around 35.5C I think so not 'proper' hypothermia, but I was a mess. The medic pulled me from the race.

I had decent kit on for that race and of course was carrying the mandatory stuff too. But due to problems I hadn't anticipated it wasn't enough. And then today on a 2 hour run in a city, I got really cold really quickly. Running in the winter is a risky thing, even in familiar places, and even the most sure-footed of runners can take a fall, get knocked over by an enthusiastic dog or have a muscle suddenly cramp or pull. Hypothermia is surreptitious- you don't necessarily notice it coming- and it seriously impairs your ability to keep yourself safe. It is so important to carry an extra layer with you. You can get space blankets for next to nothing and they will fit in a pocket; an extra base layer probably weighs less than the phone you're carrying. If you turn an ankle or worse you can still be a few miles or 20-30 minutes from help and you WILL get cold.

So be safe whilst the weather is still wintry. 


By the way, before disaster struck that day I was fortunate to have been photographed on Halls Fell Ridge by Ian Corless. So even though I felt a failure and totally useless for many months after that race, there is a photo to remind me that I AM a runner.

Many thanks to Ian Corless. https://iancorless.org/


And this was the morning after. As you can probably tell, there was nothing left of me. But more of that another time perhaps.

No comments: