Sunday 28 January 2018

Two weeks in

Fourteen days into this training cycle and already it's been a mixed bag. Yesterday was my first DNS of the year. Not an easy decision to make but I've had a hip niggle and by Thursday I felt the likelihood of finishing Peddars Way was at best 50-50. Rather than take a chance, start the race and then have to bail out in the middle of nowhere, I decided it was best to not start at all. It did feel like I was letting the RD down, but on the other hand how much of a nuisance would I be taking up a volunteer's time having to be fetched from the depths of a Norfolk field.

To manage the niggle I've reduced the length of my runs a bit as well as reducing the pace, and I've been foam rolling and doing some yoga. Massage is booked for tomorrow as I think my legs could do with a bit of tough love anyway.

Despite the niggle I still had a lovely run this weekend. 15 miles along the North Norfolk coast path in rapidly deteriorating conditions. I love being out by the sea in a storm although I was glad I wasn't on my own as there were times I struggled to stay on my feet! We saw a field filled with hundreds and hundreds of geese, and there was the glowing white of an egret amongst the grey storm clouds.

About 11 miles in, the wind howling and horizontal freezing rain lashing the side of my face, I stopped and smiled. It was exhilarating being out in the bleak, storm-swept landscape and it was the first time that week I'd felt truly myself and alive.

Running teaches you many things. I think Saturday's lesson is one I will do well to heed.

Pictures from a visit to the Norfolk Coastal Path last year.

No comments: