Sunday 16 September 2018

Back to 'normality'

It's two weeks since the UTMB madness finished. I had pretty much no sleep for 3 nights as a late-arriving flight on the Sunday meant I didn't get to bed until after 2am and I had to be up before 7am to go to work. Since then it's been non-stop one way or another. Even the 'run-soigneur' duties have continued to some extent- Steve went for a run today and then fretted that his heart rate was rather high. He needs reminding that it's only two weeks out from a massive effort and even if muscles feel fine he IS still fatigued!

Getting back to a last burst of training has been strange. The first week home everything felt so easy due to the little boost of having been at altitude for a short while, but this week has been all slow again. Still I've managed a lot of miles this weekend: an early start, a horrid drive. but a lovely 27 miles on the Ridgeway and TP yesterday and a rather duller 13 from home today to no planned route.



I'd like to be better acquainted with leg 1 of the 100 (I know miles 1-5 and 20-25) but basically I've run out of time for that. My next free weekend is 2 weeks out from the race and really that's a bit close for going out and doing a long run. All my kit is sorted and I'm ok with nutrition, even managing to find a caffeine gel I can actually tolerate so I now have something to help me with the 'wee small hours'. In many ways I feel quite ready to taper as mentally it's been getting harder to step out the door and start running. It's usually fine once I'm running but it seems that my mind is perhaps even more ready for a rest than my body! The only thing bothering me is the fact I've done nothing properly long all year. Let's hope a lot of consistent high mileage will be enough...

No comments: