Thursday 27 June 2019

Midsummer malaise

Midsummer has been and gone, plans have been made and ditched, job applications sent and rejected.
I've been in the exam hall pretty much full-time which is exhausting even though I enjoy it.
I'm making myself go running even though I don't really feel like it. The loss of desire to run is such that I have put in my diary the date by which I need to withdraw from Autumn 100; I'm not sure I have any business on a 100 miler race this year.
It's hard going at the moment.

On a positive note the results from my last DXA scan show there is some improvement in my hips although my spine continues to deteriorate albeit more slowly. My GP says keep running as it seems to be having a beneficial effect on my hips at least.

I've stopped thinking about trying to focus on this year's races. OCC is now a day out in the mountains rather than an A race to seriously prepare for. I'm such a long way from being physically or mentally in the right place there's simply no point in having any goals other than to get round.  Instead I'm looking ahead to next year: perhaps 2020 is time to attempt some challenges rather than enter races. In light of which I'm off to some mountains to assess whether something I have in mind is achievable. Hopefully a couple of days away from everything and doing something challenging will help reset mind and body too.
onwards and upwards


2 comments:

Saul Bee said...

Sometimes it is just a matter of hanging on and making it through to the other side and you never know what it is that will click and start to make everything move in the right direction.
Intrigued to hear what your 2020 challenge will be

Sinead said...

In the light of a few (mis)adventures during the summer, my 2020 challenge is currently under review. It might not even be a formal event- doing something with no particular time pressure would be nice.