Monday 3 January 2022

Hitting the ground running



The Centurion Running One Slam has begun. I signed up for the 600 miles option back in October when I had a moment of feeling optimistic about running. By December I was regretting it but I've decided to give it a go and see how far I get. So far I've run 23 miles- more than I've run in a weekend for months! Although today is a bank holiday, I'm taking it as a complete rest day as I mustn't get over-enthusiastic and break myself doing too much too soon. 

I've been running to heart rate for the last week and I think it's already paying off. Twenty three miles in a weekend wouldn't have been manageable without pain and fatigue, I think, if I'd run faster, and both days there were moments when the running flowed and my body felt free. When it feels good like that it's so tempting to push on and do more, but I've learned that lesson the hard way. 

How easy it's going to be to fit in enough miles once term starts I don't know. I'm genuinely scared about being in an environment where very little will or can be done to keep everyone safe and healthy- and four evenings a week I'll be on taxi duty for the teens. I guess it'll have to be squeezing in 2 or 3 miles here and there in between everything else. If I'm lucky I get 20 minutes for lunch so a middle of the day run isn't an option. Let's not think about how tricky it'll get if the weather turns cold enough for heavy frosts or snow!

Anyway, today I will do my best to rest. There's chores to get done before being back at work but I will endeavour not to attempt too much. And we had our first Odd Box overnight so I need to do a bit of searching of recipes and creative cooking in order the make the most of the contents. It did make me eat a tangerine- there were quite a few in the selection and they're not so easy to put in recipes- so that's good. Getting better at eating a wider variety of fruit and veg is going to be an important part of completing through the Slam and staying healthy at work!





No comments: